- growing....growing is cool. Growing throws off blood sugar. Crazy. Can't win this one.
- hormones....I don't know if I'd call them "cool" but they are necessary. Yup. There goes the blood sugar.
- numbers....now the 10 year old I love is good at math. But her life is now governed by numbers. And that's not always fun. Sometimes the challenge is at least interesting...not "fun"....and when the number is too too high that same 10 year old feels like she failed. Big time.
- shots.....my lovely little brunette girl is a trooper. These aren't bad. But trying to look "normal" and needing shots at really inopportune times stinks. Really stinks.
- it can be hard being unique as a kid...it can be hard being unique, period. This earns a gal some unique points.
- when an athletic little girl has Type 1 diabetes, there are moments of utter bliss called post-sports low blood sugar. Now I don't advocate low blood sugar, but...but....BUT....when they happen after, say, a basketball game? Carbs! Free carbs to get the level to a sane level. That kind of rocks especially after a particularly hard week.
It's been "one of those weeks"....of super highs after weeks of lows....of tears shed over numbers.....a bit of mourning over what was (and perhaps not knowing what we had until it was gone...like a fully functioning pancreas).....but it wrapped up with some well-earned carb celebration thanks to two (plus) hours of basketball. And the smile that resulted kind of wiped away the tears of a week.